Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 15:58:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with over 133 virutal domains with apache on 2.1.7

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, David Langford wrote:

> When I add my 134'th virtual domain to apache it says it can no
> longer figure out its hostname and wants me to set ServerName

    You are probably running out of file descriptors (defaults to
FD_SETSIZE=256 per process) because you have separate access and error
logs for each virtual domain.  You'll probably have to rebuild your
kernel with FD_SETSIZE=1024 (or whatever) and recompile Apache with
that value as well.

    Also, are you running named on that box?  I think named by default
will try to bind to every IP address it finds (at least it did last I
checked with BIND 4.9.5).  There is a patch for BIND that lets you
specify which IP's to listen on.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)