Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:32:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot with amd0 driver jumps into debugger

I have a Zeos machine whose motherboard has a built-in AMD SCSI
controller.  However, I have a much better Adaptec 2940UW adapter
card installed, so the AMD controller has nothing attached to it
and I have it disabled in the BIOS.

Until this weekend, I was using FreeBSD 2.2-current circa Aug 96.
It used to print "pci0:9 ... AMD ... [no driver assigned]", then
it would find the ahc0 driver and all would be well.

After a cvsup to tag=RELENG_2_2 this weekend, I noticed that there
is a new driver amd0 which is listed first in the default kernel
config. file.  Booting with this driver installed in that order
results in dropping into the debugger.  (I can produce the exact
output if someone wants it.)

To fix this for me, I just disabled amd0 and rebuilt my kernel, so
I'm OK now.  But I wanted to flag this for someone's attention, so
that others would be able to use FreeBSD-2.2 out of the box without
a kernel recompile.  (To wit, how do you do a kernel recompile when
you can't boot/install off the floppy?)

Thanks!

--
Brent J. Nordquist