Date:      Sun, 02 Aug 1998 12:00:39 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyone have an opinion on PandaProject

> Hello,
>
>       I have been looking at deciding on a newer system and have
>       been lurking around the information at
>
>       http://www.pandaproject.com/ourstuff.htm
>
>       Has any of the experienced hardware persons here got an opinion to
>       express on the products that they produce?  What first caught my
>       attention with them was their claim to be producing hardware
>       without obsolescence built in.

Looks like a pleasantly expensive way of buying a PC.  If you're into
locking yourself to a single vendor with a proprietary bus, go for it.

I would consider it an educational experience to compare the cost of
upgrading one of their system with the cost of purchasing an entire
new commodity-component system.

The mechanicals actually look quite nice; plenty of cooling, etc., but
the proprietary CPU/bridge/memory cards are a major lose.

This quote:

"Dataquest has no doubts that passive back planes will garner sizable
 success as a next generation server architecture. Passive back plane
 systems give the customer more choices in building customizable client
 server solutions down to the componentry level."

is a laugh for anyone that's lived outside the PC arena.

>       Probably wouldn't be looking at a server model but the ST-300
>
> http://www.rockcity.net/order/computers.asp?Action=Specs&computer_type=ST-300
>
>       looks very impressive for $1295US.

How to market a boring computer: add trivial frills.

Ultimately, you'll want to decide what it is you want.  So far, it
seems that coolness is more important to you than functionality.  In a
year or two, you will have a very cool heap of junk.  8)

On the other hand, you can build something equivalent in performance
for less, or spend the same money on something boring but somewhat
better.