Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 19:55:33 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ernie Elu <ernie@eis.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VM and squid 1.2b22

I have just installed a new proxy server on 2.2.7 running squid 1.2b22.

With 128MB swap and 64MB ram, squid seems to use up all the swap and die
in a few hours, however it only seems to use about 40MB resident memory according to top.

I can't find anything about it on the squid mail list archive, so I was
hoping that someone on this list may have an insight.

Previously  1.1.22-NOVM ran with no worries, and 1.2 is supposed to have
NOVM built in. I have tried memory_pools on, off and fixed to 32MB all with
no effect on VM usage. I have also tried cache_mem as low as 4MB.

I can always go back to 1.1.22-NOVM but there are some cool features in 1.2,
in particular the way you can set the cache size per directory that  I would
like to use.

Any suggestions?

- Ernie.