Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:24:57 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        brett@lariat.org
Cc:        wghicks@bellsouth.net, grog@lemis.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of FreeBSD-STABLE (was: Oddity in name resolution)

[to -chat]

From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:54:00 -0700

> At 10:02 PM 3/20/99 -0500, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
>
> >Watching releng3.freebsd.org to see when snapshots are available
> >seems to be a good indicator as well.
>
> Well, if the "snapshots" are made of particularly good -STABLE builds
> with which users have had good success, they might be worth looking at.
> The thing is, we can't play "-STABLE roulette." Anything we install
> must have been broken in and well tested as an entire build. That's
> just a basic requirement for any software we put on a production machine.

From my experience -STABLE has always been the "best" thing for _our_
production uses.  These are mostly development systems, hosts for
in-circuit emulation, and a few CVS repository servers.  Our developers
are at *least* as fussy about downtime as a typical ISP customer.

I suppose an ISP's shell host, mail or news servers would have different
concerns but the people I know who administer those usually end up with
heavily customized and finely tuned systems anyway.  Updating them is
often a real PITA.  By working from a locally modified FreeBSD repository
(another thread) even this can be made more manageable.

I'd suggest that FreeBSD is a better choice for those types of systems
*because* of the availability of the project metadata.

Don't like -STABLE?  Fine. Pick your own mix of proven kernel/userland
components.  It's pretty easy to do with a local repository and PicoBSD
offers an excellent example for specialized applications.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net