Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:05:19 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   RedHat 6.0 & -current?

[ I'm sorry if this seems like a FAQ, but I've searched through the
  archives and dejanews, and I can't find anything on this. ]

Hi,

     How "beta" are Marcel's RedHat 6.0 ports?  I'm trying to install
his beta RH6 linux-base on a July 10 -current, and numerous rpms fail to
install properly (similar things happen on 3.1-RELEASE, which is why I'm
now trying -current).  A partial log looks like:

ldconfig-1.9.5-15.i386.rpm
ELF binary type not known.  Use "brandelf" to brand it.
execution of script failed
error: /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/ldconfig-1.9.5-15.i386.rpm cannot be installed
brandelf -t Linux /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig
glibc-2.1.1-6.i386.rpm
termcap-9.12.6-15.i386.rpm
libtermcap-2.0.8-13.i386.rpm
bash-1.14.7-16.i386.rpm
execution of script failed
error: /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/bash-1.14.7-16.i386.rpm cannot be installed
ncurses-4.2-18.i386.rpm

The ldconfig rpm appears to install, regardless of the error message,
and the bash rpm doesn't work.  Linux bash dumps core with a "Bad system
call - core dumped".  A stack trace from FreeBSD's gdb gives:

	(gdb) where
	#0  0x280d3e8a in ?? ()
	#1  0x8052594 in getwd ()
	#2  0x806ac3f in group_member ()
	#3  0x804b803 in strcpy ()
	#4  0x804a825 in strcpy ()
	#5  0x280cdcb3 in ?? ()

(However, I have no idea if this is garbage or not, as I'm not using
Linux's gdb to get the stack trace.)

     Other rpms that do not install include:

	info-3.12f-4.i386.rpm
	fileutils-4.0-1.i386.rpm
	grep-2.3-2.i386.rpm
	binutils-2.9.1.0.23-1.i386.rpm
	gd-1.3-5.i386.rpm
	libc-5.3.12-31.i386.rpm
	readline-2.2.1-5.i386.rpm
	rpm-3.0-6.0.i386.rpm
	tcsh-6.08.00-5.i386.rpm

Of the ones above, I've verified that Linux info, tcsh, and rpm dump
core (rpm sometimes works, but dumps core if you run "rpm --rebuilddb").

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.