Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:05:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CVSup server bug and work-around

Recently a bug in the cvsupd server was discovered.  Under very rare
circumstances (especially when the host is heavily loaded), the master
server process can wedge.  Once this happens, it stops accepting
connections, and loops continuously consuming CPU time.  With help
from Chris Timmons, I've diagnosed the bug, and it will be fixed in
the next release of CVSup.

Meanwhile, there's a simple work-around that completely
eliminates the problem.  In your cvsupd start-up script (usually
"/usr/local/etc/rc.d/cvsupd.sh"), find the command that executes
"cvsupd".  Anywhere on that command line, add a new argument
"@M3novm".  Then kill the server and restart it.

I recommend that all mirror sites make this change until the bug has
been fixed.

The bug is caused by a race condition between two Unix signals.  I
know how to fix it, but my fix isn't ready for prime time yet.

John
---
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken