Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 02:35:12 -0600
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing and ppbus?

On Sat, Mar 20, 1999 at 04:59:04PM -0500, Peter Schwenk wrote:
> Michael:
>
> The same thing is happening with me and my HP LaserJet
> 4L.  Here's my dmesg:

My original reply to your message somehow bounced, so I'll try again...
anyhow, that is the exact same print filter I was using.  However, after
having reported this as a bug, someone replied and made mention of the
following in your kernel config:

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7
controller      ppbus0
device          nlpt0   at ppbus?

Note the "tty" on the ppc0 device line.  I think the default for some
reason makes this "net", but I'm not sure what either of these mean.
There's not much in the way of documentation there.  But anyhow, after
having changed "net" to "tty", I was able to get it *mostly* working.

It prints postscript fine now (using gs as filter).  However, it *still*
breaks on plain text, no matter what kind of print filter I use.  For
one thing, the printer error light still comes on when trying to print
plain text, then there's still the occasional dropped characters.

I guess it's not that big of a problem, since I almost *always* print
Postscript; even plain text files are usually converted with 'a2ps' here,
so it's not as big a problem now.  But I *still* would like to get the
plain text printing to work again...

--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
       "American Justice: oxymoron.  William J. Clinton: moron."