Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 08:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        mike@smith.net.au, papowell@astart.com
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG, kjc@csl.sony.co.jp, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re: picobsd micro nat box

> From mike@dingo.cdrom.com Fri Oct 22 21:43:43 1999
> To: papowell@astart.com
> cc: kjc@csl.sony.co.jp, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: picobsd micro nat box
> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:37:13 -0700
> From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>

> > > this is mostly interesting. i need to get a couple to show during the
> > > bridging/dummynet/picobsd talk! :)
> >
> > Yawn...  I will post my 'NAT on a FLOPPY' demo product if there is interest...
>
> This is much more interesting, since the box is less than 6"x6"x3"
> including mains power supply.
>
> Now, if there was just some English docco.  8)

Lets see...

1. Take one Lantronix,  Emulex,  Summix, Zimax, etc., print spooler
box.  These have 1 ethernet 10/100 mbps, 2 parallel port, 1 serial
port interface.  OK OK, these use a wall plug power supply.
But the box I am looking at right now is 8inches wide, 1 inch high (thick),
and 5 inches deep.

2. Add another ethernet controller.  You can remove the parallel ports,
   or leave them there on the board and just not populate them.  Only
   a cable header.

3. Update the kernel config file to include the second controller.

4. patch patch patch 3.1-Release... Ummm... Ahh... I mean
   'update the software'  to have the IPFilter Version X.Y
   code...  make... install... compress kernel... make MFS...
   compress MFS... put into flash... test... Yep.

5. Add a simple 'IPNat' configuration section to the software.

6. Talk to marketing,  etc etc etc

I will not claim that the code changes are 'trivial' but if you are
familiar with IPFilter then it takes about a day.

The configuration and user interface is a bit more work.

Ummm... the whole slamboodle,  with IPNAt, and Print spooling,
etc. etc. is about 982K,  (compressed),  uses about 8 Mbytes
RAM.  You can save the configuration in CMOS (Dallas makes some
VERY interesting RTC,  RAM chips just for this purpose).

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   619-874-6543 FAX 619-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)