Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 07:16:05 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Aout-to-elf Conversion

I'm planning to upgrade a number of 2.2.8 systems to 3.0 or what ever
is out at the time that I get around to doing it.  If at all possible I
would like to convert to ELF at that time too.  I have a number of
Motif applications.  The Motif shared libraries are in a.out format.
My questions are:

1.  Will the Motif applications, using the a.out format shared libraries
    that came with the Motif products continue to work on an ELF system?

2.  If #1 is true, if I would need to re-compile any of the Motif
    applications, can I build an ELF binary that will use the a.out
    shared libraries?  Or should the applications be statically linked?

3.  Lesstif may be an answer.  Any thoughts on this?

4.  If none of the above are true, I suppose I would need to look for
    alternative applications -- or compile them on a Linux system and
    run them on FreeBSD?  This however doesn't make much sense, as
vendors
    like Netscape have probably asked the same questions and I suspect
that
    they may have a solution of their own.

I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning, so I haven't thought this note
completely through and may have missed something.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC