Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:41:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      serces@mud.dk
To:        winter@jurai.net
Subject:   Tokenring Support for FreeBSD

Hi there

I'm having some slight troubles with FreeBSD kernel 3.1 and your Olicom
tokenring driver, and they quite baffle me. I've patched the files
mentioned on the website, and put the appropriate files the appropriate
places. Compiled with

device oltr0 at isa?
pseudo-device token

In, and everything went as planned, not even a single warning. :) After a
reboot dmesg tells me that it has found the following oltr cards

bash-2.02# dmesg | grep oltr
oltr: oltr_pci_probe
oltr: oltr_pci_probe
oltr: oltr_pci_probe
oltr1: <Olicom PCI/II 16/4 Adapter (OC-3137)> rev 0x03 int a irq 9 on pci0.9.0
oltr1: mac address [00:00:83:2a:3a:75]
oltr1: Adapter modes - TRLLD_MODE_PHYSICAL TRLLD_MODE_SHARE_INTERRUPT
oltr0: oltr_probe
oltr0: auto assigning card.
oltr0: <Olicom ISA 16/4 Adapter (OC-3117)> [00:00:83:78:f7:d6]
oltr0 at 0xa20 irq 9 drq 1 on isa
oltr0: Adapter modes - TRLLD_MODE_16M TRLLD_MODE_PHYSICAL
oltr1: adapter status good. (close completed/self-test)
oltr0: adapter status good. (close completed/self-test)

Question 1: I have tried without the ISA card in, and the PCI card then
becomes oltr1, instead of the expected oltr0, is that normal?

on wit the installation, ifconfig tells me the following :
oltr1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	lladdr 00:00:83:2a:3a:75
	media: autoselect (<unknown type>)
	supported media: UTP/16Mbit UTP/4Mbit autoselect
fxp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	inet 195.78.67.179 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 195.78.67.183
	inet 10.0.255.254 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.0.255.255
	ether 00:90:27:4e:b4:0e
	media: autoselect
	supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP
oltr0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	lladdr 00:00:83:78:f7:d6
	media: autoselect (<unknown type>)
	supported media: UTP/16Mbit UTP/4Mbit autoselect
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
	inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

Question #2: Why is the media unknown?

As you note, I have a Intel FastEther card in as well, and that one works
like a dream (One of the intentions with the machine was to have it as a
kind of bridge between an Ethernet and a Tokennet).

To enforce a UTP/4Mbit, since I'm not sure the MAU I'm sitting with, is in
the best of conditions :

# ifconfig oltr0 media UTP/4Mbit
# ifconfig oltr1 media UTP/4Mbit

No problems encountered here still, so I start configuring the cards,
first the ISA card
#ifconfig oltr0 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.0.255 up
KERNEL PANICS with the following:

-- *SNIP* --
oltr0: Adapter initialization failed: Adapter cannot interrupt
oltr0: closing adapter due to failure
oltr0: otlr_stop

fault virtual address   = 0xb8
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf014ca6b
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xf0251a7c
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xf0251a90
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xffffff type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = Idle
interrrupt mask         = net tty
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
-- *SNIP* --
Machine reboots, I try to get the PCI card working:

#ifconfig oltr1 inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.0.255 up
Kernel panics again, this time with :
--*SNIP*--
oltr1: Adapter initialization failed: DMA data error
oltr1: closing adapter due to failure
oltr1: otlr_stop
(... The rest is the same as with the ISA card)
--*SNIP*--

And I'm back to square one. I've checked that I do not have any conflicts
with hardware, I even tried to make a conflict, and during boot, it just
mentioned that it didn't want to  start that particular card.

I've checked that cables are correct, and that it is possible for the card
to open the port on the mau (Another machine standing next to the FreeBSD
running Windows 95). Also that the cards themselves work (By putting them
into the Win95 machine, and start).

The machine is :
CPU:	Intel 166Mhz
RAM:	32 Megabytes
Controllers:	IDE/SCSI (adaptech 1542)
HD1:	IDE, Might be A quantum
HD2:	SCSI, Quantum
NIC1:	Intel Fastether PCI
NIC2:	Olicom OC3137 PCI
NIC3:	Olicom OC3117 ISA

Also, on the main webpage of http://www.jurai.net/~winter/tr/ it states
that the Olicom driver and the tokenring support was submitted to FreeBSD
3.0-STABLE, I can't seem to locate it anywhere, and going in where the
Olicom driver can be fetched, it says that the status is that it is in
CURRENT.

I hope you can shed some light over this situation, and hopefully
enlighten me a lot. :)

Keep up the good work :)

S. P. Skou

"The Law of Self Sacrifice"
When you starve with a tiger, the tiger starves last.