Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:44:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   NCAR Graphics and FreeBSD (fwd)

Dear Sirs.
I just received ncarg-4.2.2 as sourcecode and ncarg-4.2.1 as Linux tarball.
We want to use NCAR Graphics libraries for some Fortran projects and Fortran
on FreeBSd ist Portland group (PGI) Fortran 90 for Linux, running sucessful
under Linux emulation.

Because these libraries will be used from PGI Fortran I'm a little bit
confused whether it is a good task to compile sources under FreeBSD.
On the other hand, I run into minor trouble when trying to install the
Linux distribution, because the INSTALL routine messed up some things,
so I simply untared the TAR files into the destination and hope now
that all the stuff finds its way. Some minor modifications to some
specific shell scripts were made already.

So, primary question is: installing Linux libraries being used by a
Fotran compiler used by Linux emulation seems more reasonable than
compiling sources under FreeBSD and then using them by an Linux Fortran
compiler. Is this right? Has anybody installed and used successfully
NCARG libraries?

Thanks in advance,

O. Hartmann

-