Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:19:38 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        mckusick@freebsd.org
Subject:   changing mount options still can cause damage?

Is it true that we can still cause major damage to filesystems that
are moved from read-only to read-write or noasync <-> async?

From the mount manpage:

--
BUGS
     It is possible for a corrupted file system to cause a crash.

     Switching a filesystem back and forth between asynchronous and normal op-
     eration or between read/write and read/only access using ``mount -u'' may
     gradually bring about severe filesystem corruption.
--

The first bug is understandable, but personally I've never seen the
second happen, is this still a real problem?

If not I'd like to remove it.

thanks,