Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:10:31 -0500
From:      "Elliott Perrin" <eperrin@bigorbit.com>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Stateful rules

Quick question about the keep-state and check-state options
in ipfw. I have been playing with stateful inspection on a
test box and was wondering why I am getting no counter
values associated with the check-state rule on this machine.
Loads of counter values on the keep-state rules but none on
the check-state. So I was wondering if this is "normal" or
if there is something I am missing. The rules are as follows
(this is not a live server , I just want to see stateful in
action of some sort first on this test box)

100 check-state
200 allow tcp from any to any 80
300 allow tcp from any to any 25 keep-state
400 allow tcp from any to any 110 keep-state
500 allow tcp from any to any 119 keep-state

The counters for 300 - 500 are increasing in a manner I
would expect, but the counters for rule 100 stay the exact
same, 0 and 0.

I also noticed that when I had the rule

150 deny tcp from any to any established

all connections to POP3 and SMTP are being denied, yet I
thought that the check-state rule would allow this. I tried
using setup in the same ruleset for the keep-state options
and got the same result.

eperrin@bigorbit.com