Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:06:14 +1030 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pre-alpha JDK 1.2.2 patches -- announcement

[Apologies for the length of this message and the next, they both got
 a little longer than I had hoped.]

I have placed some source code patches for the JDK 1.2.2 source at
http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsd-jdk122-patches-3.tar.gz (this message
is included in the tar ball as the file ANNOUNCEMENT).  Contained in
the tar ball are also the patches themselves, some INSTRUCTIONS and a
list of ISSUES.

These patches should be considered to be in a PRE-ALPHA state.  This is
because not all the functionality of a standard JDK 1.2.2 is present, not
all the relevant FreeBSD releases are supported, and also because the
testing so far as been relatively light.

Please note that these patches are completely UNOFFICIAL.  Do not abuse
the FreeBSD Java porting team about them, abuse me :).  On the other hand,
you should definitely include the FreeBSD Java porting team in any praise
about them (see the note below about thanks).

So, you are probably at this point wondering how useful any JDK you build
using these patches is.  Personally, I have had all the Swing example
applications (e.g. SwingSet) running (see ISSUES though).  The code has
also been run through the Mauve testsuite (see the thanks note below) and
currently tests identical to the Solaris reference implementation save for
one problem.  There are however things which I know do not work, such as
the JDBC-ODBC bridge (see ISSUES).  Additionally, I do not doubt there are
many bugs or problems which have yet to be discovered.  These patches will
certainly not yield a production quality JDK 1.2.2.

These patches are being released in the hope that the FreeBSD Java
community will take them up and work on them.  If you're one of the people
who has asked about when JDK 1.2 will be available for FreeBSD, think about
putting in some time to make it happen, these patches will hopefully
provide a launching pad for any effort.

Please note that these patches are not in any way meant to fragment the
FreeBSD porting effort.  I have the utmost respect for the hard work the
porting team has put in and I sincerely hope that these patches can
generate some activity which will prove beneficial to the porting team.
These patches came about because I'm not sure I have enough time to
put into the porting effort to see it through (the porting team don't
need more people who are too busy :) but I did have an "itch to scratch".

If you do download the patches and get something working, please let
me know.  If you find a problem, please also let me know, but don't expect
that I'm going to fix it (I will if I have time).  If you decide to take
on one of the ISSUES, please also let me know (I'll try and coordinate
things).  And, of course, I'd love any additional patches people come up
with.

Finally, and possibly most importantly, these patches are really just a
set of fixes and updates on top of other people's work.  These people
deserve a big vote of thanks (and as above, none of the abuse).

1.  Kees Jan Koster and Victor Salaman for stepping forward and testing the
    patches.  They both pointed me at several problems along the way and
    in particular Victor identified some problems on 4.0 and Kees Jan ran the
    JDK through the Mauve test suite.  Many thanks!

2.  These patches are based really heavily on the earlier patches by
    Thomas Mittelstaedt which can be found at
    http://home.munich.netsurf.de/Thomas.Mittelstaedt/jdk12_FreeBSD.html
    I believe his were, in turn, somewhat based on earlier work by Keith
    White which is at http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~kwhite/java2/
    And of course, I'm sure these in turn are based upon the patches for
    JDK 1.1.8 from the FreeBSD Java porting team (as I believe Keith is
    a member of the porting team).

3.  The FreeBSD Java porting team.  This work is built upon their work for
    JDK 1.1.8 and I referred to those patches many times.

4.  The Blackdown Linux team, who indirectly provided a fully featured
    JDK 1.2.2 which could be used to bootstrap the build and to compare
    against.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083