Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 16:38:16 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kevin Bailey <noone@nowhere.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No /dev/vinum/rstripe

On Saturday,  8 July 2000 at 23:01:57 -0700, Kevin Bailey wrote:
>> I'd be interested in what you found in the man page that made you
>> think that this would work.
>
> (Again, this is 4.0-RELEASE)
>
> man 4 vinum

> MAKING FILE SYSTEMS
>
> ...if you have a volume 'concat', use the following commands to create a
> ufs file system on it:
>
> # newfs -v /dev/vinum/rconcat
>
> Notice concat -> rconcat. I myself have written drivers which
> tweaked the names of devices. If /dev/vinum/stripe had existed, it
> would be worth a try, right ?

Indeed.  That's why I suggested that.  But you didn't have a volume
'stripe', you had a volume 'vinum0'.

>> What was the problem?  If you have a crash with Vinum, I want to know
>> about it.  You should have a file /var/tmp/vinum_history which
>> contains the commands you issued.  Check out
>> http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html for further info.
>
> I included /var/tmp/vinum_history in the first email:
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2628049+0+current/freebsd-questions
>
> Unfortunately it can't show evocations of newfs and mount
> (which were what triggered the crashes.) mount caused a
> system crash when I tried to mount vinum0 before I newsf'd
> it. I forget which device I ran newfs -v on to cause it to
> crash.
>
> I don't consider these crashes to be Vinum's fault at all.
> That's what happens when you use newfs and mount incorrectly.

I consider any crash caused by purely userland functions to be a bug.
It shouldn't be that way.  I'd like to see any dump you get doing
these things.

> The only improvement I would make is to change the manpages
> to say 'newfs -v /dev/vinum/vinumX (where X is the number
> Vinum has chosen)' instead of rconcat.

But that's only if you let Vinum choose it.  If you use the normal
configuration interface, the name is the name of your choice.  The
current documentation is more accurate.

Greg