Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:21:18 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        marcd@internode.on.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembler error on Kernel build

marcd@internode.on.net wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a strange problem when trying to build a new kernel.
>
> My system currently running 4.0R on PentiumII-300 with a Zida 6DLX (
> Intel 440LX based) motherboard.
> I cvsuped my sources from cvsup.au.freebsd.org (though have also done it from
>
> the non-Australia CVS sites).
>
> In recent times I have not been able to upgrade because I haven't been able
> to build a new kernel.
>
> Make depend goes through okay but the actual compile stops with
> /tmp/ccm16926.s: Assembler message:
> /tmp/ccm16926.s:773: Error: operands given don't match any known 386
> instructions
> /tmp/ccm16926.s:838: Error: operands given don't match any known 386 instrctions
>
> I can build other programs without any problems (I ran a sucessful make
> buildworld last night)

Did you do a "make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR Config file>", which is
needed after a cvsup or upgrade. There are significant /bin util
changes that have to be upgraded using the buildkernel installkernel
instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING.

Kent

> Thankx for any help
>
> Marc

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg