Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:20:28 -0800
From:      Derrick John Klise <derrick@lumiere.net>
To:        Jeff Lasman <jblists@nobaloney.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using DNAT and DNS round-robin

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 08:46:07PM -0800, Jeff Lasman wrote:
> Are you sure?  I've been looking for a definitive answer in my DNS &
> Bind book for about an hour now, and I'm still not certain <frown>.  Any
> page references welcome <smile>.

IIRC, something like:

  monkey.example.net    IN A   192.168.0.1
                        IN A   192.168.0.2
                        IN A   192.168.0.3

> And how about failure rollover?  We'd like to offer clients
> geographically dispersed hosting; there's a call for it since September
> 11th showed everyone of the hazards of hosting at only one location.
> But I don't think we can rely on short TTL; too many large ISPs seem to
> ignore it <frown>.

> Is there a way to handle high-availability strictly in DNS?

Possibly; I'm unaware of one if there is, though.

If you're not too worried about the TTL problem, you could set up a monitoring
program to remove an entry from the rotation if it's corresponding address
becomes unavailable, then add it when it comes back up.

--
Derrick John Klise			<derrick@lumiere.net>
"I went into a general store, and they wouldn't sell me anything