Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:54:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   1.3.1 Developer Only patchset.

Hi all,

I've put up a developer only set of patches for 1.3.1 for download.
Just in case it isn't clear, these _do_not_ build a working JDK.  This
is for people who are interested in helping with the porting or just
curious.  The included instructions assume you know what you're doing
and are reasonably cursory for this reason.

Just in case you're thinking about making a port for these patches
(Ernst, I'm talking to you :), don't.  Please wait until we have
something which more closely resembles a working JDK.

Here is the ANNOUNCEMENT file included with the patches, with all
the details on where to get things.  Let me know of any problems
with downloading and the like.  I know there are lots of problems
with the patches at this point, so don't tell me about them unless
you also have a patch :).

This is a set of DEVELOPER source code patches for the JDK 1.3.1 source.
These patches are unofficial and no abuse should be directed towards the
BSD Java porting team for them.  This patchset can be gotten from
http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk13.html (this message is
included in the downloadable tar ball as the file ANNOUNCEMENT).

Please read the file THANKS for attributions.

Cursory instructions to build the JDK are contained in the file BUILD.

You should also examine the ChangeLog for the changes that have been
made so far, and notes on them.

THIS DOES NOT BUILD A WORKING JDK.  If you want a working JDK 1.3.1 then
this is not the package for you.  This is for people who want to help
get the JDK 1.3.1 working natively on FreeBSD.

Here is a brief list of some of the problems and projects to be tackled:

1. The javadoc executable produced by the build core dumps when trying
   to produce documentation during the release images build.
2. The appletviewer executable produced by the build core dumps when
   tested on any of the example applets.
3. The java executable produced by the build core dumps on any of the
   JFC examples.  It will work on a text example though.
4. The native threads implementation is not complete for anything
   except BSD/OS.  It is not connected to the build at this time.
5. There has been no work on HotSpot.
6. The patchset is completely untested on NetBSD, OpenBSD and BSD/OS.
   NetBSD is the most likely to be "working".

Please at least post to freebsd-java if you intend to work on any major
piece of functionality so that this work can be coordinated.  It would
also be a good idea to contact java-port@yogotech.com.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Mobile: 0419 868 494