Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 00:38:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE not easily scalable to large servers ... ?

"Marc G. Fournier" wrote:
> > You have more memory than you can allocate kernel memory to
> > provide page table entries for.
> >
> > The only solution is to increase your kernel virtual address
> > space size to accomodate the page mappings.
> >
> > How to do this varies widely by the version of FreeBSD you are
> > using, and, unless you read "NOTES" and are running a recent
> > -current, is not incredibly well documented, and requires an
> > understanding of how the virtual address space is laid out and
> > managed (which is also not well documented anywhere).
>
> Ya, this is the roadblock I'm hitting :(  I'm running 4.5-STABLE here, as
> of this afternoon ... thoughts/suggestiosn based on that?

Read the handbook as it existed for 4.5-STABLE, and read NOTES.
It (sorta) tells you how to increase your KVA size.

> Also, is there somethign that I can run to monitor this, similar to
> running netstat -m to watch nmbclusters?

DDB?  8-) 8-).

No, there's no stats collected on this stuff, because it's a
pretty obvious and straight-forward thing: you have to have a
KVA space large enough that, once you subtract out 4K for each
4M of physical memory and swap (max 4G total for both), you
end up with memory left over for the kernel to use, and your
limits are such that the you don't run out of PTEs before you
run out of mbufs (or whatever you plan on allocating).

-- Terry