Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2002 11:35:39 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Splitting the Handbook? (was: [a couple of new doc PRs])

Hello everybody,

I am getting a bit late into this discussion, but I have a great excuse:
I have been sleeping:-) So.

I think that splitting up the Handbook would be a good idea. It is
getting too large in every respect. (To read, to process, to search,
to...:-) Also, a division into a "user's" and "admin's" part seems like
a good idea. (On the assumption that the Developers Handbook continues
to evolve so as to offer information to those who wish to use FreeBSD as
a development platform.)

However, I think that before starting wholesale reorganizing the stuff,
we should have a clear set of requirements towards the Handbook. What do
we want the Handbook to be? During the previous reorg run (in the runup
to the 2nd Edition) this requirement was that it had to become more of a
print title, with better-looking book output, consistent grammar and
style, index, front and backmatter etc.

Now, we have to decide what the Handbook (or the books that will make up
the series replacing it) will try to cover. First. I think that we
should not try to blur the line between users and admins by including
admin tasks in the user volume. My reasons:

- It is already causing waaay to much trouble when people seriously
  believe that just because a normal office worker (or home user for
  that matter) was able to "admin" a Win95/98/ME box all by himself
  (with sometimes stunning results, see viruses, security patches not
  applied, chaos because of many installed shareware items etc) they
  will be able to do same for a UNIX-type system. Or that they should.
  In my opinion, UNIX-type systems require a real admin or they are
  worse than your Win 9x box. Especially when they are on a network.
  This is why when someone asks me if they should consider using ...
  (subsitute Linux or whatever here) in the office I will be asking
  them (among others): Will there be some person who will be able to
  administer the boxen? And this is why I think that UNIX-type OSen will
  never make it big on a common PC in the home. (Appliances are another
  matter)

- Because admin tasks usually require root. (Case in point: You may be
  able to to compile packages as a user, in fact I do this all the time,
  but not install them normally, because at least the pkg database
  management will require root.) If you have root on a machine, then you
  are an admin no matter if you at the moment work under a user account
  (as indeed you should.) In fact, I consider that admins should have at
  least a non-wheel user account as well because doing certain tasks
  like browsing, email etc may pose even less risk that way: there are
  just less system files that a non-wheel user can read, for ex.)

So, the User's Guide should be something like the USD used to be way
back when: orientated towards users, no more. Of course, I do not think
we should waste time describing the stunning games in the base system
any more, but you get the idea. The aim of the User's Guide is to help
me get work done when I login to a FreeBSD system (possibly remotely) as
one of the several users of the system and eg want to read my email,
edit my homepage, or write my thesis with LaTeX. (All of which I have
done on this system). The Admin's Guide, on the other hand, should be
oriented towards admins who are already supposed to know their way
around as users, but need to do different job: They may not care at all
about X or photo editing or indeed thesis-writing, they need to maintain
the system. For this, they need info on kernel recompiles, staying
up-to-date, patching for security, staying with the -RELEASE branch if
need be, coordinated installworlds from NFS-mounted /usr/obj, diskless
systems, scripted installs, cloning possibilities, using hot-swap system
components on SCSI and also on ATA, networking, VLANs, etc. Some of this
info is at present missing, some in the Handbook and some in the
Developers Handbook or elsewhere.

And also, there should be a book for programming on FreeBSD, of course,
not just for system hackers, but application programmers.

Second. We should decide to what extent we want to include third-party
packages into the series. Of course, the fact that FreeBSD is more than
a kernel(TM) does not make our job easier. Yet, I think that if we start
covering eg every major MTA just because not everyone loves sendmail, we
will be before long writing a book about Internet Mail which just
happens to use FreeBSD as its examples, not a FreeBSD sysadmin book.
This would be needless duplication of effort with the documentation of
these software packages (it really does not need a book to tell you
that, contrary to the defaults, the startup file is installed under
/usr/local/etc/rc.d on FreeBSD if you use the ports, but everything else
works as described in the vendor docs, eg) and with some
fine books from eg O'Reilly that already cover these and more. So I
think the series should concentrate on the parts that are FreeBSD
specific and make reference to the vendor docs (or even other
literature) when appropriate.

These are really just my 1st thoughts on the subject, feel free to take them
and use them as you see fit, but I think that a similar set of
requirements should be drawn up before we go ballistic with slicing up
the content.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM