Date:      Sun, 11 May 2003 04:30:58 -0400
From:      Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
To:        swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook: Using "make world" Chapter

On 10 May 2003 20:24:13 -0700
swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen) wrote:

> Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
> > AFAIK, make world still works (least it did for me yesterday on a CURRENT
> > box) and don't see it becoming deprecated any time soon.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
> says:
>
>     Although the world target still exists, you are strongly encouraged
>     not to use it.
>
> Looks deprecated to me, but then I seldom use that term because I
> greatly dislike reading it myself when I don't know who's doing the
> deprecating and/or why.  I've seen too many cases where there was no
> good reason for the deprecation.  I think such suggestions or opinions
> should be omitted unless maybe they are more carefully written:
>
>     Almost all users will find it best to use "make buildworld" in
>     multi-user mode and "make installworld in single-user mode, for
>     reasons explained above, so few will want to use "make world".
>
> > Honestly, I don't see how its confusing.  Perhaps if we discussed make world
> > throughout the entire document, but gave the commands for buildworld, that
> > would be a problem.  What do you think would be better in terms of 'more
> > descriptive'?
>
> It's confusing because the section (21.4 and also 21.4.10) is entitled
> "Using 'make world'", but the section doesn't ever talk about "using
> 'make world'" (though one can infer it from an explanation of the
> buildworld and installworld targets, and the obviously obsolete
> back-handed references to 'make world' in several other places.  I think
> your "perhaps if" case is the very thing Warren is complaining about.

[SNIP]

I'll take your suggestions and see what I can come up with.  I've got
a hoard of printed pages from the handbook with scribble on them to make
changes like:

Rewrite this paragraph for clairity.
Grammar nits here.
Incorrect information here.
Information ordering incorrect here.

So, I'll add this to my list.  Thanks for the suggestions!

--
Tom Rhodes