Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:22:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   md5 checksum on ports.tar.gz

I admit it's been a while since I downloaded ports.tar.gz as I usually
build from trusted media. I was demonstrating to a student the other day
how to verify an MD5 checksum on a downloaded file and went to use
ports.tar.gz as an example and was dismayed when I couldn't find the
checksum. Is it just well hidden or is there a reason why this file does
not have one?

I realize that this file changes often, but isn't it worth calculating a
checksum on? Especially after the high profile cases we saw last year of
open source ftp sites getting trojaned?

Dru