Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:47:17 -0800
From:      Aaron Glenn <aaron.glenn@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   I've ran out of ideas

I'm pushing large files via thttpd over low-end hardware (celeron
1.8GHz, 512MB RAM, UATA 100 drive) and, out of the box, FreeBSD
5.3-RELEASE topped out at 40Mbps sustained. After creating a separate
partition with a much larger blocksize, it's hit 50Mbps sustained but
won't go past 54Mbps at all.

iostat shows the drive pushing 3.5MB/s pretty consistently. There are
on average 750 http connections. Interrupts take 12% of the CPU,
according to top, and another 2% for thttpd itself. The box doesn't
swap.

My dmesg is inexplicably gone...which I realize is going to seriously
hamper any constructive input. It is an fxp card, and the IDE
controller is a generic Intel controller (the motherboard is an old
gateway desktop pull). The /var/log/messages file is filled with:

Nov 18 04:00:15 d thttpd[38743]: write - Socket is not connected
sending /path/to/file.name

I'd like to know what else I can to do maximize raw network I/O. I
don't see why this box can't push 90Mbps. My good friend, colleague,
and Linux zealot, is eating this up. (-:

Regards,
aaron.glenn