Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2006 11:56:58 +0200
From:      "Andrej (Andy) Brodnik" <andrej.brodnik@imfm.uni-lj.si>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, John Pettitt <jpp@cloudview.com>
Subject:   Re: Looking for tor users experiencing crashes

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 10:00:15AM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, John Pettitt wrote:
>
> >>I've had an informal, third or fourth hand report of kernel instability
> >>when running Tor under load on unidentified versions of FreeBSD.
> >>Obviously, this is a bit vague as bug reports go, but I'm interested in
> >>seeing if anyone has had real experience with this happening, and might
> >>be interested in helping to track it down.  If there are kernel crashes,
> >>I'm specifically looking for information on what version of FreeBSD is
> >>being used, a panic message / trap message, DDB stack trace, etc.  I'm
> >>assuming it's likely a networking related bug, which I'm happy to work on
> >>fixing. If it's not network-related, I can certainly try to track someone
> >>down who could work on it.
> >
> >For what it's worth I had tor running on my 5.3 co-lo box for about 200
> >days without a problem (had to reboot for a kernel reboot after 400+ days
> >of uptime)
>
> This is a useful report -- so far I've had about a half dozen reports of
> absolutely no problems at all on various versions of FreeBSD, and no
> reports of crashes.  Maybe this is a false alarm, or maybe it was a bug in
> a specific version of FreeBSD.  Or maybe it just requires very special
> circumstances. I'll continue to keep an eye out, and please let me know if
> you run into a problem.

Hm, I  have no problem in general  as well. Up-time on  my 4.6 machine
was more than 200 days (than we  had the power shortage) and on my 6.0
machine more  than 100 days and  then the same  power shortage problem
brought it down.

However, on  my 6.0 I wanted  to install recently the  WLAN card using
ndis.  The  card I  wanted  to use  was  dlink  (AIRPLUS driver).  The
generation of the driver using ndisgen went through smoothly, but when
I  wanted to  load the  kernel module,  the machine  simply  hang. Any
suggestions/proposals would really nice to get.

Thanx and LPA (== (Lep pozdrav! Andrej)_{Slovene} == (Best Regards, Andrej)