Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2007 16:01:42 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E5kon_Granlund?= <hg@sircon.no>
To:        Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backups Hardwares for FreeBSD

Hi!

Paulo Fragoso wrote:

> Today our backups are made on DDS-4 tapes, they are very slow and too
> small, this is our problem. What is a good (modern) alternative to DDS-4
> working on FreeBSD?

I have yet to see someone mention ZFS in this discussion, so there. I
said it.

We're currently testing FreeBSD7.0-BETA1.5 on a HP DL380/StorageWorks 30
with 2TB (expandable to 4TB) in raidz. This will be the main backup
server which is located in the same room as the servers. This will then
use zfs send|get with another backup server running the same ZFS-version
in a remote location.

And, it can also be used with iSCSI (snapshotting) which makes backups
easypeacy.

ZFS eliminates the need of fancy RAID-controllers, too. You just need
disks. And lots of 'em.

If you can; stay put a few more months and wait eagerly on ZFS/7.0 to
become STABLE :-) At least, that's what I would (and will) do.

--
Håkon