Date:      Mon, 21 May 2007 09:52:18 +0900 (JST)
From:      Maho NAKATA <chat95@mac.com>
To:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Cc:        gerald@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   setting gcc42 as default compiler

Hi,

As 7-CURRENT is going to ship with gcc42,
I'd like to switch the default compiler for OOo ports to gcc42, too.

General
* depending on gcc-ooo which is specific/patched version is evil.
also useless for other than ooo2 ports.
* some people might also use gfortran as well, in this case we install
gcc42 too and no additional compilers are needed.
* facilitation for gcc part of Makefile. we do not need to consider about
gcc-ooo (i386) and gcc41 part(amd64/gcj build), but single gcc42 part
is enough.

For 7-CURRENT
* No additional compiler will be needed for both FreeBSD i386/amd64.

For 6-STABLE
* Just moving to one single compiler gcc42 is enough.

Drawbacks
* Sometimes we need additional gcc42 patches for OOo.

Issues
* gcc42-withgcjawt conflicts with gcc42 :( but I have an idea...

Currently just i wrote this proposal.
Any suggestions/comments are extremely appreciated.

All the best,
-- Nakata Maho (maho@FreeBSD.org)