Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2007 18:08:02 +0900
From:      MANTANI Nobutaka <nobutaka@freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FW: [Richard Stallman] Emacs 22.1 released

Hello, I'm sorry for my late reply.

At Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:17:27 +0300,
Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> I've been maintaining on and off the editors/emacs-devel port for some
> time, with the kind help of many people who submitted PRs and/or even
> wholesale updates to newer pre-release snapshots, but I don't know if I
> am sufficiently experienced with the Ports tree to maintain _the_
> official editors/emacs port.

I think that you know more about Emacs 22 than me and it would be better
if you maintain editors/emacs port after upgrading to 22.1.
I will keep maintaining editors/emacs21 port.

> Bearing this in mind, what is the usual way we like handling upgrades of
> this sort or magnitude for our Emacs-depending ports?
>
> Should we keep the editors/emacs-devel port, update it to Emacs 22.1 and
> allow for some time of 'settling in' before we switch editors/emacs to
> the 22.1 version?
>
> Then when the time comes to switch editors/emacs to editors/emacs21 how
> should we handle the 'move' (i.e. do we repo-move the files?)?
>
> If we do the repo-move, what is the process of making sure all the Ports
> which depend on editors/emacs21 keep working, and how do we handle ports
> which use editors/emacs (emacs22 by then)?

I have the following plan. Any suggestions are welcome.

1. Repo-copy from editors/emacs port to editors/emacs21 port.
2. Upgrade editors/emacs port to 22.1. (maintainer changed to
   keramida.)
3. Add the entry for editors/emacs21 to editors/Makefile.
4. Change bsd.emacs.mk for editors/emacs, editors/emacs21 and
   editors/emacs-devel. Relations between EAMCS_PORT_NAME and
   EMACS_PORTSDIR shold be changed like this.

   EMACS_PORT_NAME    EMACS_PORTSDIR
   emacs21            ${PORTSDIR}/editors/emacs21
   emacs22            ${PORTSDIR}/editors/emacs
   emacs-devel        ${PORTSDIR}/editors/emacs-devel

5. Change elisp ports. Change EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs21 to emacs22
   for each Makefile and add slave ports with EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs21.
   Most elisp ports that support Emacs 21 should work with
   EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22.

Currently I prepared patches for editors/emacs port and bsd.emacs.mk.

http://people.freebsd.org/~nobutaka/emacs-20070624.diff
http://people.freebsd.org/~nobutaka/emacs-20070624.tar.bz2 (port tarball)
http://people.freebsd.org/~nobutaka/bsd.emacs.mk-20070624.diff

But unfortunately I can read/write email and do committer work on weekends
only. So I give approval for keramida to commit to editors/emacs and related
ports. Please go ahead.

Sincerely,

--
MANTANI Nobutaka