Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2008 21:35:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Clewlow <tim1timau@yahoo.com>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>, Bernd-Michael Ruhe <mruhe@sunguru.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0 Handbook 6.2.4 Firefox, Mozilla Macromedia Flash plugin

--- Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>

> please don't top-post (fixed) and keep emulation@ (restored) CCed.
>
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:58:13 +0000 Bernd-Michael Ruhe wrote:
> > * Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> [2008-03-29 16:31:45 +0300]:

> versions:

> > > You should install none of them. Install the (linux application) port
> > > you need instead and the port's (infrastructure) system will do the
> > > right thing.
>
> > thanks for the advice, but what exactly do you mean by installing "linux
> > application" port? I seems that this port is not in my
> > /usr/ports/.......
>
> I mean if you need to run an Acrobat Reader then go to
> PORTSDIR/print/acroread7 and install it. Or you may use packages.
> The apropriate linux base port will be installed. In general if one
> have a question like "which linux base port should I install" then
> then (s)he shouldn't install it.
>
> > I am a bit lost. FYI, while installing FreeBSD I also installed Linux
> > compatibility; that's all.
>
> > I installed linux_base-f7 before, was working for the current session,
> > but crashed X system thereafter.
>
> This port is not default and uses non-default linux.osrelease. Did you
> read/follow /usr/ports/UPDATING?
>
> > Any advice is highly recommended.

Hi there, I have native firefox with flash 7 working fine on FreeBSD 6.2, with
java and adobe reader. Note I always install via ports, and they are up to
date.  Anyway, here is how, you can try it from packages, ie pkg_add -r xxxxx -
hopefully that works too, but if it doesnt then installing from ports
definately does.

[ Note, I just copies/pasted this from my notes, there may be later versions of
these packages you can also use - but IIRC I had some problems with them ]

install www/firefox
install print/acroread7
install java/diablo-jdk15
install www/linux-flashplugin7
kldload linux
echo 'none            /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw      0
0' >> /etc/fstab
mount -a
echo 'linux_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf
nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

Lastly, if you have installed some linux emulation then you might need to
uninstall it or else the packages/ports system may complain about conflicting
versions of emulation.

Cheers, Tim.

We are BSD ... resistance is futile.
http://www.freebsd.org/ - http://www.openbsd.org/ - http://www.netbsd.org/

OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends:Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t