Date:      Sun, 04 May 2008 22:57:28 -0300
From:      Fer Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with CTF on -STABLE

We're facing some problems with CTF on -STABLE. We need that so we can
have DTrace runing on FreeBSD 7

The tools and the libs build fine, but I can't ctfconvert anything. In
some cases get the following error:

ctfconvert -L VERSION -g tdfx_linux.o
ERROR: ctfconvert: die 37: base type without name

and in some others ctfconvert just dies and dumps core.
I all cases, xstrdup is the culprit:

(gdb) where
#0  0x281bbfa9 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.7
#1  0x28147187 in strdup (str=0x0) at /usr/src/lib/libc/string/strdup.c:47
#2  0x08050f22 in xstrdup ()
#3  0x0804dfde in die_through_create ()
#4  0x0804d712 in die_create_one ()
#5  0x0804d769 in die_create ()
#6  0x0804ecb4 in dw_read ()
#7  0x0804c12b in main ()

now, if I copy both the .o and the ctfconvert executable to a  -CURRENT
box, it runs fine.

 From the error (base type without name) it seems that some info that
ctfconvert needs is not available on -STABLE, or maybe it's on a
different place or in a format ctfconvert doesn't understand.  Maybe
libdwarf  is built on a different way, but so far I couln't find what
the problem is.

Any pointers/help would be greatly apreciated

Fer