Date:      Sat, 30 May 2009 22:59:42 -0400
From:      Louis Mamakos <louie@transsys.com>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS NAS configuration question

The system that I built had 5 x 72GB SCA SCSI drives.  Just to keep my
own sanity, I decided that I'd configure the fdisk partitioning
identically
across all of the drives.  So that they all have a 1GB slice and and a
71GB
slice.

The drives all have identical capacity, so the second 71GB slice ends up
the same on all of the drives.  I actually end up using glabel to create
a named unit of storage, so that I don't have to worry about getting
the drives inserted into the right holes..

I figured that 1GB wasn't too far off for both swap partitions (3 of
'em)
plus a pair mirrored to boot from.

I haven't really addressed directly swapping another drive of a slightly
different size, though I've spares and I could always put a larger drive
in and create a slice at the right size.

It looks like this, with all of the slices explicitly named with glabel:

root@droid[41] # glabel status
             Name  Status  Components
      label/boot0     N/A  da0s1
     label/zpool0     N/A  da0s2
      label/boot1     N/A  da1s1
     label/zpool1     N/A  da1s2
      label/swap2     N/A  da2s1
     label/zpool2     N/A  da2s2
      label/swap3     N/A  da3s1
     label/zpool3     N/A  da3s2
      label/swap4     N/A  da4s1
     label/zpool4     N/A  da4s2

And the ZFS pool references the labeled slices:

root@droid[42] # zpool status
   pool: z
  state: ONLINE
  scrub: none requested
config:

         NAME              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         z                 ONLINE       0     0     0
           raidz2          ONLINE       0     0     0
             label/zpool0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             label/zpool1  ONLINE       0     0     0
             label/zpool2  ONLINE       0     0     0
             label/zpool3  ONLINE       0     0     0
             label/zpool4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

And swap on the other ones:

root@droid[43] # swapinfo
Device          1024-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/label/swap4     1044192        0  1044192     0%
/dev/label/swap3     1044192        0  1044192     0%
/dev/label/swap2     1044192        0  1044192     0%
Total               3132576        0  3132576     0%

This is the mirrored partition that the system actually boots from.
This
maps physically to da0s1 and da1s1.  The normal boot0 and boot1/boot2
and
loader operate typically on da0s1a which is really /dev/mirror/boota:

root@droid[45] # gmirror status
        Name    Status  Components
mirror/boot  COMPLETE  label/boot0
                        label/boot1

root@droid[47] # df -t ufs
Filesystem          1024-blocks      Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/mirror/boota       1008582    680708   247188    73%    /bootdir

The UFS partition eventually ends up getting mounted on /bootdir:

root@droid[51] # cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options
Dump    Pass#
zfs:z/root              /               zfs     rw
0       0
/dev/mirror/boota       /bootdir        ufs     rw,noatime
1       1
/dev/label/swap2        none            swap    sw
0       0
/dev/label/swap3        none            swap    sw
0       0
/dev/label/swap4        none            swap    sw
0       0
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto
0       0

But when /boot/loader on the UFS partition reads what it thinks is /
etc/fstab,
which eventually ends up in /bootdir/etc/fstab, the root file system
that's mounted
is the ZFS filesystem at z/root:

root@droid[52] # head /bootdir/etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options
Dump    Pass#
z/root                  /               zfs     rw
0       0

And /boot on the ZFS root is symlinked into the UFS filesystem, so it
gets updated
when a make installworld happens:

root@droid[53] # ls -l /boot
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  12 May  3 23:00 /boot@ -> bootdir/boot