Date:      Sun, 1 Aug 2010 20:33:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        afs-list freebsd <freebsd-afs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenAFS on FreeBSD 8.1

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> Sorry for the long delay in responding -- mail piled up a bit during a busy
> week.
>

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
>

>> With both, I run into the same problem compiling on FreeBSD 8.1.
>> http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=209524 changed
>> the definition of ifa_ifwithnet. In rx/rx_kernel.h, FreeBSD 8.1 needs the
>> same definition of rx_ifaddr_withnet as AFS_OBSD46_ENV (while FreeBSD 8.0
>> needs the generic one). Should FreeBSD 8.0 still be supported?
>>

> I'll try to get that fix in this weekend (if not sooner).  I only have
> 9-current test boxes, and I think Derrick only has 8.0, so 8.1-specific
> things would otherwise rely on me noticing relevant changes in the commit
> emails that go by; this doesn't work very well when I don't have much time to
> read them :)

That fix is in the tree -- thanks!

>> With the git based port, I get an error on "kldload libafs": "can't load
>> libafs: Exec format error" (missing symbol?) -- openafs-1.5.75 (the other
>> port) does not seem to have this problem.
>>

> Sounds like someone introduced a regression since then; thanks for the
> report.

This one proves to be quite a bit more difficult; if you look at the
console when you try to load the module (or in dmesg), it complains about
a particular undefined symbol, afs_FlushVS.  This function is supposed to
be called when we are short on cache space (and other things) and need to
reclaim space.  However ... it isn't implemented anywhere.  This codepath
changed with commit d29643b0553011cbe60dd127fd31c1847fe02ddb, which
enabled disconnected mode always for unix clients -- the old version (for
non-disconnected mode) used a different function.  It will probably be a
while before we rewrite things properly (as it is not exactly clear what
"properly" means, at least to me).

-Ben