Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 2010 18:04:24 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: txt-sysinstall scrapped

On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:17 PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Friday, November 05, 2010 11:48:27 pm Garrett Cooper wrote:
>=20
>>>   Just to add to that (because I do find it a novel idea), 1) how
>>> are you going to properly prevent man in the middle attacks (SSL, =
TLS,
>>> etc?), and 2) what webserver would you use?
>=20
> Without putting much analysis into it, we talked about using lighttpd, =
which=20
> is BSDL.  As far as another service, it would be running for the =
install only=20
> which is in most circumstances something that happens locally.

The whole idea makes a huge amount of sense to me.
Besides the usual application HTTP servers, there are
also quite a few HTTP server libraries that could be
embedded into the installer.

Even without SSL support, this would be a big win for
both local installs and for installs within a controlled network.
Supporting installs over the public Internet would be an
interesting project, but certainly does not need to be a goal
of the first iteration.

Can't wait to see this in action!

Tim