Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:58:16 +0200
From:      Arvid Warnecke <arvid.warnecke@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM T60 issues with resume from zzz

Hello again,

it took some time.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 03:28:42PM +0200, Lars Engels wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 02:15:54PM +0200, Arvid Warnecke wrote:
> > I did some research and found old messages about using acpi_ibm and
> > devd. So I edited my loader.conf to load acpi_ibm and /etc/rc.conf have
> > these two more lines now:
> >
> > dev.acpi_ibm.0.events=1
> > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3
> >
> > I then added this to my /etc/devd.conf
> >
> > # ACPI_IBM
> > notify 10 {
> > 	   match "system" "ACPI";
> > 	   match "subsystem" "IBM";
> > 	   match "notify" "0x04";
> > 	   action "/usr/sbin/zzz";
> > 	  };
> >
> > Now the T60 goes to sleep complimentary but does not wake up at all. I
> > read a few times about issues with Xorg running, but this does not seem
> > to make any difference...
> >
> > Where can I get more information about fixing the resume/ wake up? Has
> > somebody already got the resume working on his/her IBM T60 notebook?
> >
> perhaps this can help you:
> http://www.bsdforen.de/showthread.php?t=24823
>
> It's in German, but it's mostly a copy & paste from the config files.
> You need a 8-STABLE and compile a kernel without USB support. You load
> the USB kernel modules then and unload them before suspending.

I followed the instructions there and already tried to get more
information on that community, but with no response yet.

What I did:

1. I build a new kernel with no USB support, but now load all USB
related modules with kldload.

2. I edited my loader.conf to matching my kernel configuration (the
poster in the community above wanted to load everything as module, I
only wanted to load what's necessary to get suspend/resume to work:

http://pastebin.com/9AFxDqti

3. I edited my rc.conf

http://pastebin.com/gzHgjQME

4. I added just the small block to load the custom script in my default
devd.conf:
    notify 10 {
	match "system"          "ACPI";
	match "subsystem"       "IBM";
	 action "/etc/acpi/acpi_oem_exec.sh $notify ibm";
    };

5. And then saved the script to acpi_oem_exec.sh:

http://pastebin.com/SLskzm2A

6. /etc/rc.suspend modified
http://pastebin.com/Ygu1rEgh

7. /etc/rc.resume modified
http://pastebin.com/L3ySL0Zr

8. Finally the /etc/sysctl.conf with some tunes that shall let ACPI work
properly:

http://pastebin.com/9MxEz4gz

But it works still as bad as always:
When I close the laptop the system seems to suspend (I can see that
modules get unloaded in /var/log/messages), but when I want it to resume
it does not do very much. The harddisk LED lights just once and the fan
starts. But that's it. The T60 does not resume and the LED for
suspended mode stays on.
After killing the system and reboot I can't see anything in messages,
that FreeBSD had an impulse to resume the system.

Can anybody help please? I am so happy with the system, but it would be
awesome to suspend the laptop when leaving the train and resume when at
work and such things. You know what I mean....

Best regards,
Arvid