Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2010 15:44:15 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org, freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Review request -- splitting OF enumeration from nexus

Nexus on OF platforms doesn't behave like nexus on x86, which generates
some periodic difficulty with cryptosoft or syscons attaching to all
devices and taking over the system when someone makes a wrong
assumption. I have done some work to split out OF enumeration into a
new, acpi(4)-like bus called ofwbus that does all of the OF enumeration
previously done by nexus(4). The patch can be found at
http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/ofwbus.diff.

Doing this also provides a number of other benefits: it shares code
between PowerPC and sparc64, unifies the AIM and Book-E nexus
implementations on PPC, and makes it easier to have non-Open Firmware
platforms on PPC (the original motivation for the work). I have tested
this code with no obvious problems on a variety of Apple PPC machines
and a Sun Ultra 5. More testing and comments would be much appreciated.
If no has any objections, I will commit these changes in 2 weeks.
-Nathan