Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:26:22 -0500
From:      Brandon Gooch <jamesbrandongooch@gmail.com>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@altadena.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_em problems, both 7 and 8-stable

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Pete Carah <pete@altadena.net> wrote:
> I cannot successfully create a vlan on if_em on either releng 7 or releng=
 8;
> I have seen a patch for part of
> the problem (checksum offsets end up incorrect) but not all. =A0Even turn=
ing
> off ALL hw_xxx flags leaves one
> unacceptable bug - the interface gets hard-reset any time you add or dele=
te
> a vlan. =A0I *know* that cisco
> uses these interfaces without these problems, so it has to be possible. =
=A0I
> have used vlans in linux without
> appearing to get the same problems, though I'm not sure the rest of the
> configuration matches.
>
> What gives, especially since the patch for one of the problems (wrong
> checksum offsets) was generated
> about 6 months ago...
>
> We are trying to use an intel platform as a router; this is a show-stoppe=
r.
> =A0I could try linux though I prefer not to...

Would it be possible for you to provide more details about the
hardware and software setup? The Intel chip and the revision (or
relevant CVS info) about the builds of 7-RELENG and 8-RELENG would be
useful, perhaps the dmesg of the machine and output of `pciconf -lv`?

For what it's worth, I'm using vlans on an "Intel 82566DM Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter (82566DM)", on-board in my Dell Optiplex 755, all
hardware options on...

$ ifconfig em0
em0: flags=3D8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=3D219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TS=
O4,WOL_MAGIC>
        ether 00:1e:4f:d5:84:b7
        inet 10.7.0.7 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        status: active

-Brandon