Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2016 10:46:10 -0400
From:      Johannes Dieterich <dieterich.joh@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   high acpi_task load

Dear all,

I have for a long time observed a very high system load (seemingly
erratic) on my Elitebook 745 G3. I am finally able to reproduce the
behavior and would love input on how to solve it.

If the laptop is attached to the docking station, acpi_task processes
are eating up an entire core worth of CPU time, thereby disallowing
the system to ever get to idle states with temperature and load issues
associated.

This is in so far reprodroducable as that locking it in at runtime
causes these processes to appear on top -SH, disconnecting at runtime
causes them to disappear.

Inspecting a core dump generated during high load seems to point to
ACPI's thermalzone:

#5  0xffffffff803b0a97 in acpi_tz_cooling_thread (arg=<value optimized out>)
    at /usr/src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_thermal.c:1162
#6  0xffffffff809ec8e4 in fork_exit (
    callout=0xffffffff803b0620 <acpi_tz_cooling_thread>,
    arg=0xfffff800055f9a00, frame=0xfffffe043f590a40)

This is a timer: tsleep(&sc->tz_cooling_proc, PZERO, "cooling", hz *
sc->tz_zone.tsp / 10);

As I reported earlier, the thermal zones are very broken on this
notebook. However, it surprises me that this would a) have such an
impact and b) only when connected to a docking station.

Any input/ideas are appreciated! Happy to test things.

Johannes