Date:      Tue, 05 Jul 2016 16:07:44 +0200
From:      "Marin Bernard" <lists@olivarim.com>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thinkpad T450: can't change display backlight

 =20
Hi, =20
 =20
I just=A0bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T450 laptop and installed FreeBSD on top of=
 it. It runs fine except I'm not able to=A0change=A0the display backlight. Th=
e laptop embeds a Core i5-5300U CPU=A0with an=A0Intel Graphics 5500 adapter (=
Broadwell). I know the adapter is not yet supported, but I hoped to=A0have ba=
cklight control working anyway! =20
 =20
Backlight control is working fine=A0with OpenBSD 5.9, Linux 4.1+ and Windows,=
 which is not very surprising as those OSes also support the display adapter.=
=A0It's not working on=A0FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE nor 11.0-ALPHA6. =20
 =20
What I have tried: =20
=A0 - I tried to load acpi_ibm and acpi_video kernel modules and tweak=A0the=
=20sysctl they provide: I was able to modify the systctl values, but=A0backli=
ght remained the same. =20
=A0 - I also tried to install graphics/intel-backlight. There again: I was ab=
le to change values, but it didn't change the backlight. =20
=A0 - I tried to load the i915kms intel modul, just in case backlight control=
 needed this to work properly. As before, no effect. I think the module is ju=
st ignoring my adapter as it does not support it. =20
 =20
I'm ready to cope with the=A0VESA driver for some time but I'd really like to=
 get=A0backlight control working. Do you have suggestions ? Is there anything=
 I can do to help ? =20
 =20
I use the UEFI framebuffer with vt in graphics mode. I did not try to run Xor=
g yet. Should I=A0do it ? =20
 =20
Thanks, =20
 =20