Date:      Sun, 29 May 2016 14:16:09 +0000
From:      Meny Yossefi <menyy@mellanox.com>
To:        "freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org" <freebsd-infiniband@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: InfiniBand supported hw

LAGG for IPoIB is called 'Bond' and no, It's not supported in FreeBSD.

-Meny

> On May 26, 2016, at 12:33 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:
>

>> On 26/05/2016 17:44, John Nielsen wrote:
>>> On May 26, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrot=
e:

nd it is the same as Mellanox ConnectX, which supposed to be supported.
>>> Yep, they should work.  You may need to flash them with their=20
>>> Mellanox equivalent firmware, but I'm not sure.  (doing that flash=20
>>> isn't very hard btw)

puters together (IPoIB) is it possible to use both ports to double the spee=
d?
>>> Not sure, as I've not needed to personally.  None of my storage (or=20
>>> other uses) even fills one DDR port.  Yet. :)
>>>
>>> I *think* the answer to that is yes,
>> It depends on what you mean by "use both ports." You can of course use b=
oth ports at the same time, but if you're envisioning something like an IPo=
IB version of an Ethernet LAGG I don't think that is supported.

>> If you are using the IB for storage protocols, then active/active multip=
athing is one way to utilize the full bandwidth of multiple ports.

>>> Again not sure.  Other people here would likely know. :)
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for, a sort of LAGG to double the s=
peed of the link between computer by utilizing both ports together. LAGG is=
 independent from the network interface, if I could set up an IPoIB NIC for=
 each port separately what could prevent me from creating a LAGG interface =
on top of them? And if that's not supported, what do people usually do with=
 the other interface? Just leave it unconnected?

LAGG is designed to work with Ethernet. InfiniBand is a very different laye=
r 2 technology with its own advantages and disadvantages. I don't want to g=
et too far out of my depth so I'll just suggest you do your own research on=
 the subject.

How you use the second port is entirely up to you. You can use it for separ=
ate applications, for redundancy or higher throughput. In my experience it =
usually makes sense to give it its own IP. If you want higher bandwidth tha=
n a single port can provide then you should at layer 3 or higher for ways t=
o aggregate bandwidth. (You should also do some research on PCI-e throughpu=
t. A x8 PCI-e 3.0 slot maxes out well before 112Gbit/s.)

As I mentioned previously you can use active/active multipath to get more t=
hroughput for block storage applications. You could also run a routing daem=
on and do ECMP for any layer 3 traffic. Or your particular application may =
have other ways to intelligently use two distinct IPoIB paths.