Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 01:04:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pam_ldap and FreeBSD 4.3

I have it working as I did the port.  pam_ldap only handles
_authentication_.  You still need to have the user configured locally on
the machine, they just don't need a password.  The nss code would be the
way to do authorization as well (i.e. have LDAP handle passwd file lookups
using the RFC2307 schema).

So, if you have a user marcus in LDAP, you need to have a local passwd
entry for the user marcus with everything but the password.  pam_ldap just
lets you consolidate passwords in one place.

Joe