Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 07:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        lithium@cia-g.com (Stephen Fisher)
Cc:        linuxisp@lightning.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Satellite news feed?

> I was wondering if anyone has experience with PageSat

I had pagesat for a while a year or two ago (until a little tree grew
into a bigger tree and blocked the only good spot for the dish; as I
got a T1 about then, I just switched to my ISP's news server).  The
software was marginal, but came in source and was relatively easy to
hack.  Do *not* get email by PageSat however, as *everyone* gets it.
At the time at least, the software did not distinguish email, and it
all ended up in "junk", until I hacked it to ignore the mail.  I seem
to recall that there were complaints about it being a day or two behind
other news sites, but I also saw something recently that said they'd
improved their connectivity.  Otherwise, I think it's a great way to get
news; if it weren't for the tree, I'd leave it turned on as a backup feed
to the ISP feed.

--
Alan Batie                   ______      We're Starfleet officers:
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Weird is part of the job.

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.