Date:      Sat, 06 Oct 2001 19:04:14 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
To:        Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Updating BIND 9

Juha Saarinen wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >       The "right places" for a port are in /usr/local, which is what
> > the port does. That said, having an option to install the bind ports
> > in the base is often requested, and something I'm working on as time
> > allows.
>
> Yes, but I would say "most ports", not all of them.

	No, ports by defintion.

> I can't see any reason
> to run both BIND 8 (from the base system) and BIND 9 (from the ports
> collection), on the same system.

	A) BIND is more than just named. I frequently want to have both versions
of BIND available. B) Don't let your lack of vision prevent you from being
open to learning things beyond your experience.

> Perhaps a /usr/ports/base-system-upgrades (clumsy name, I know) would be
> an idea? That would be useful for upgrading e.g. BIND, Sendmail,
> OpenSSH/SSL and so forth, if you wish.

	Congratulations, you're the 89,512nd person to suggest that. Please see
the mail archives for more exciting discussion on the same topic. In any
case this thread is way off topic for -stable, so this'll be my last
comment on it.

--
    "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."
	- George W. Bush, President of the United States