Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:24:04 -0500
From:      "Steven E. Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        "Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai" <asmodai@wxs.nl>, "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Brad Knowles" <blk@skynet.be>, "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Julian Elischer" <julian@whistle.com>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

> >Next month it'll be -RELEASE.  This isn't the time to remove such
> >significant functionality.  If it weren't for that, I'd agree with
> >you.
>
> Think about that some more.

Ditto :)

The idea that seems to be here is to definately make ATA the default
driver. Definately it should be the default driver for 4.0... but leave
the 'wd' driver there as a fallback. After we've had a wide test
audience of 4.0 users using the ATA driver it will likely cover every
bit of hardware that 'wd' already does and do a better job.

At that point 'wd' can be scrapped for 4.1-RELEASE.

Big changes that have been little tested shouldn't be made just before
RELEASE... not without a safety net.

-Steve

asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl]
<http://home.wxs.nl/~asmodai>;