Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:33:25 +0100
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com>
To:        Gonzalo Arana <gonzalo.arana@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net/mpd causes a kernel freeze

Gonzalo Arana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I open a pptp tunnel with net/mpd, my PC freezes (numlock stops
> responding, for instance).
>
> I am using 6.1-RELEASE with GENERIC kernel.  I've recompiled removing
> USB, SCSI/RAID controllers, with the same result.
>
> The freeze occurs right after the tunnel is up.

Hi,

you should build a Kernel with debugging options turned on (DDB, KDB,
WITNESS, INVARIANTS, etc. see the handbook). And then enter the debugger
if the freeze occurs, refer again to the handbook about kernel
debugging.

It may also help to turn OFF PREEMPTION, ie. remove that line from your
kernel conf.

Ulrich Spoerlein