Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2005 15:40:33 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: change to /usr/include/osreldate.h breaks ports x11-servers/xorg-server

--=-Qj/r3p9AZ/7rMiEYVL6B

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 15:29 -0700, Ted Faber wrote:
> Hi, guys.
>=20
> I don't know if you noticed this, but there was a recent commit to
> src/include/Makefile (cvs version 1.247) that changed the generated file
> /usr/include/osreldate.h by adding a prototype for the function
> getosreldate().
>=20
> This breaks compilation of x11-servers/xorg-server and I would guess a
> bunch of other X ports.  In x11-servers/xorg-server the problem is that
> config/cf/FreeBSD.cf includes that file, apparently assuming that
> everything in it is a C preprocessor directive.  The new prototype
> results in Makefile.proto files that make does not accept in various
> places in the config directories during make config of the port.
>=20
> This seems a little complex for me to produce a patch for.  You all may
> have to negotiate with the committers to remove the prototype or to add
> more complexity to the X configuration stuff to filter that prototype
> out.  Not a decision I'm comfortable suggesting a path for.
>=20
> I'm happy to provide more info if you need it.

Sigh.  Imake is such a lame hack.

I think the best solution here will be to just use the major/minor
versions instead of osreldate and not worry about fine-grained feature
addition on (old) -current/-stable in the imake case.

--=20
Eric Anholt                                     eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt@FreeBSD.org

--=-Qj/r3p9AZ/7rMiEYVL6B