Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:37:18 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question on cvsup

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 07:32:23PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
> ALIAS wrote:
> >=20
> > i read the manual that came with my freebsd4 package. and i see on the
> > website that there's a freebsd5, i want to use cvsup to update my syste=
m to
> > version 5, and i don't know how to do that, the manual doesn't explain =
it
> > well. can someone help me?
>=20
> In the supfile that you use with cvsup, there's a line similar to
> "*default release=3Dcvs tag=3DRELENG_4_8".  This specifies which version =
of
> the sources you want to sync to.  The handbook has a list of all the
> tags at
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html>;
>=20
> But you should also be aware that 5.x (aka CURRENT) is not for everyone,
> you should read the handbook section at
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable=
=2Ehtml>
> that discusses who should use STABLE and who should use CURRENT.

The OP should note as well that updating from 4.x to 5.x by compiling
=66rom source is not the easiest way of going about things.  The
src/UPDATING file from HEAD says this, hidden such long way down the
file that most people will probably have got bored and given up
reading before they get to it:

	To upgrade in-place from 4.x-stable to current=20
	# 5.x uses more space than 4.x.  Also, the location of kernel
	# modules has changed.  If you are installing 5.0 onto a 4.x
	# system, you'll need about 30MB of free disk space on your /
	# partition.  If you have less than this, you may encounter difficult
	# to back out of problems with this procedure.  If /tmp is on
	# the / partition, you may want to completely remove all its content
	# before upgrading, as this can be a common source of shortage of
	# space on /.
=09
	<make sure you have good level 0 dumps>
	<maybe fix /etc/fstab>				[7]
	make buildworld					[9]
	make buildkernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE	[8]
	cp src/sys/${MACHINE}/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints [2]
	make installkernel KERNCONF=3DYOUR_KERNEL_HERE
	cd src/sys/boot ; make install			[6]
							[1]
	<reboot in single user>				[3]
	mergemaster -p					[5]
	rm -rf /usr/include/g++
	make installworld
	mergemaster					[4]
	<reboot>

and the several subsequent pages that expand on the numbered points
therein. See

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/UPDATING?rev=3D1.266&content-=
type=3Dtext/x-cvsweb-markup  (5-CURRENT, HEAD)

or

    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/UPDATING?rev=3D1.251.2.6&cont=
ent-type=3Dtext/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=3DRELENG_5_1  (5.1-RELEASE-pN=
, RELENG_5_1)

Once you've upgraded your base system, you'll definitely need to
install 4.x-COMPAT libraries and you'll probably end up needing to
reinstall all of your ports.  Over all, you may well find it better to
back up your /home area and any other data you don't want to lose,
wipe your system and re-install 5.x from scratch, but that's a
judgement you'll have to make for yourself.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way