Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 16:33:39 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   linux networking within vmware?

vmware seems to be the answer to my various debugger troubles; I've
managed to get my linux installation to execute within vmware.

I was able to figure out the newtworking between the host and guest
from the "using vmware 2" article at freebsdzine.org.  I don't have
access to the outside world yet from with the guest.

currently, there is the file /etc/netork/interfaces which contains

iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.254.200
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 146.186.61.64
        broadcast 146.186.61.127
        gateway 192.168.254.1

What do I need to do to get access to the world?  Do I need some sort
of routing option in my freebsd kernel?

What I *really* want is a setup so that

1) I type a simple command into an xterm and get a linux xterm with
   appropriate xauthority (start a hidden vmware and ssh to it?(

2) Linux mounts the freebsd home (is nfs the best way to do this?)

3) networking running under linux (so I can update it :)

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail