Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 14:00:17 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

David O'Brien wrote:

> > I'm not working on changing the build/installworld. There's nothing
> > "broken" about having to install the kernel first, IMO. I don't see how
> > I can "fix" it then.
>
> In fact for OpenBSD (and I'll assume NetBSD) their `build world'
> procedure is to first compile a new config(8), then build and install a
> new kernel & reboot.  THEN build and install the rest.

	I think Peter makes some good arguments inre building the kernel first,
but as others have expressed I think that the chicken and egg problems
are not yet solved. Perhaps what we need is a type of pre-world kernel
target that will create a space somewhere in /usr/src/sys where it can
build and install all the dependencies (gas, config, etc.) then build
the new kernel with the new tools. So the "new" procedure would be
something like:

make kernel NAME
	Builds tools, builds new kernel, installs new kernel, (rebuilds libkvm
& friends?)
reboot
(option to rebuild libkvm, et al here instead for those cases where
world won't be built?)
make world
(insert things like rebuild kernel again to get sigset_t changes in)
reboot

	Does this sound like the same things y'all are talking about? I realize
that I haven't even addressed the cross platform problems, and I agree
that it is necessary to solve those longstanding issues. However before
we can start on those problems we need to come to agreement on the
"best" method of performing the necessary steps, then hammer out the
details. This has the potential to really go somewhere if people get
behind it and commit to solving the problems with a long term view in
mind.

Excited,

Doug
--