Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:26:10 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org
Subject:   libc causes sylogd misbehaviour - fix included

Hi ..

Sorry for the cross mail but I know there are a few people that
suffer from this problem and would like a fix.

Quick problem description:

When using remote logging, on the server where the logs are written,
syslogd tends to stop logging any more info at some stage. This
also prevents you to su (if you use a console and it is not plugged
in).   If you kill syslogd and restart it again .. the first
attempt fails when syslogd wants to open the console.  Sometimes
only a reboot solves the problem.

It was possible for me to recreate this problem readily by denying
icmp port unreachable packets from the non existing DNS server,
causing syslogd to get stuck in cvthname->..->..->poll in libc.
If I leave syslogd in this state for a minute or so, and then
remove the packet filter, syslogd NEVER recovers and nothing
is logged anymore.

This condition also seams to occur every now and then (once a day)
on a working system without packet filtering.

Solution:
In libc/net changes were made to res_send.c - specifically in
revision 1.32 preventing a deadlock (ever loop) in the name
resolution if a SIGALRM was received during that time.
This was MFC'ed to 4-stable but not 3-stable (understandably).

I made a diff between 1.31 and 1.32 of res_send.c - applied it
to my RELENG_3 libc (1.25.2.1) and recompiled libc.  When trying
to recreate the above error, after the 1 minute deny of icmp's,
and removing the rule, syslogd recovers and continues to log without
a problem.

Conclusion:
Is it possible for someone the MFC rev 1.31->1.32 of libc/net/res_send.c
to the 3-STABLE ??
And while doing that ... would you be so kind as to also add the
"-n" option to disable DNS lookups which is in current at the moment ??

I would really appreciate it ...

Thanks
Reinier

#  R.N. Bezuidenhout                  NetSeq Firewall             #
#  rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za       http://www.nanoteq.co.za    #