Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:10:24 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named messages in /var/log/messages

In the last episode (Jan 14), Stacey Roberts said:
> Hi Dan,
> On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 23:37, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Jan 14), Stacey Roberts said:
> > >      I'm running bind in a sandbox as per the handbook. I've had
> > > this set up and (presumably) working okay since FreeBSD 4.6
> > > Stable, and have today noticed these named entries in
> > > /var/log/messages:
> > >
> > >  named[143]: denied update from [host_IP].1268 for "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN
> >
> > Is that host running Windows 2000 or XP?  Does it also have
> > "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" checked in (deep
>
> Yes, its a Win2K Pro machine.
>
> > Control Panel -> Network -> Local Area Connection -> Properties -> TCP/IP -> Advanced -> DNS
> >
> > ?  if so, uncheck it :)
>
> I should mention that the messages appear on the same FreeBSD box
> that acts as a PDC (using samba). That button has always been ticked
> and not presented a problem for the months that I've had the domain
> set up. How would your suggested procedure affects this? I only ask,
> because I'm not sure myself what effects this will have on the set
> up.

You'll get the messages on whatever machine is the primary DNS for your
domain.  The checkbox tells W2K to directly update the DNS record for
its IP (usually handed to it by the DHCP server).  I prefer the Netware
way, where the DHCP server notifies the DNS server itself, instead of
hoping the client does it right.

You can safely ignore the message if you want.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com